(reposted from http://annewebb.wordpress.com ,,)
Sorry I’ve not been posting *to* my blog lately but I’ve actually been busy *with* my blog and website, working to integrate the two. The plan was to not only place them under the same URL umbrella but to give them both a consistent look.
I was going over my blog and web site last week, trying to come up with a plan of action of where I should start. I had already moved my original website over last fall to Bluehost (I took the plunge) in anticipation of the move to an integrated site, so that was done.
In the process of looking over my site and doing a little homework of looking at LOTS of other sites online, I ran a site optimization thingie through websitegrader.com to see just how far off I was from having a good site. Well.. there was lots lacking and having my web site and blog running independently on different sites (it didn’t matter that there were links on each to each other).
My meta tags were too long, I had no headings, my site wasn’t listed in places like http://www.dmoz.com or http://www.zoominfo.com, it couldn’t find my blog.. no RSS Feed.. and the list goes on. The final grade my site got was a dismal 27 out of 100. My blog faired quite a bit better, at 79/100, but it was still lacking in some areas. Interestingly, one of the things toward the end of the report that was a blaring X mark was: “blog found on a free domain” and had a link to this article Why a business blog should not be on Blogspot.com.
So anyways, my old web site is now officially gone and I have moved everything over to a hosted site using wordpress.org. There’s definitely still some tweaking to be done that I will hopefully be able to resolve the bulk of in the next few days, but I have to say, the tech support guys at Bluehost came through like champions to clarify and correct some tough loading issues I had this morning. Yay Bluehost!
My new blog URL is: http://www.webbpottery.com/blog . Come leave a comment! Hope to see you there!
I’m not quite sure what this is about, other than a friendly way to draw attention to and share other peoples’ blogs. I’ve found some of the neatest blogs by word of mouth. I pass this on from Gay Judson of http://sistercreekpottery.blogspot.com/ .
Here are the ‘game’ rules:
1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog. (this is what you’re now reading.)
3. Write 6 random things about yourself (see below).
4. Tag 6 people at the end of your post and link to them. (This is only a game.)
5. Let each person know they have been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.
Six Random Things About Me:
1. I have 4 dogs, 2 cats, and used to have a turkey called Einstein. (all live outside)
2. My favorite color is purple
3. When I was 27, I took flying lessons.
4. I’ve always wanted to bungee jump or do sky diving! (They’re still on my list of things I want to do before I die)
5. I’ve knitted since I was 18 and learned to crochet off of YouTube last year.
6. I am *very* wary of power saws and sharp spinning blades since having my finger nicked by a shaper tool a few yrs ago. Needless to say my woodworking ambitions were short lived.
Six People Tagged – these are only some of the many blogs I like… not all clay:
1. Tascha Parkinson http://timewithtascha.blogspot.com/
2. Cynthia http://coloradoartstudio.com/blog/
3. Pam McFayden http://lureartsceramics.blogspot.com/
4. Eleanor Hendriks http://eleanorhendriks.blogspot.com/
5. Almapottery http://almapottery.blogspot.com/
6. Carpediem http://carpediemchris.blogspot.com/
I’ve had my blog on Blogspot for a few years now but last week my friend Cynthia from Colorado was singing WordPress praises since moving her blog over from Blogspot. Figured it was worth checking out.
After a couple of days and as many conversations, I ended up transferring all my posts over and am starting to take root. Frankly, I didn’t think it would that easy a sell.
My blogspot URL: http://webbpottery.blogspot.com
My WordPress URL: http://annewebb.wordpress.com