I’m afraid its been another long while since I’ve been able to post here. The end of school year means a whole lot more demands at home and an adjustment period for everyone until we all settle into the new summer routine. That compounded by a week of being laid up with an intestinal bug (moms are the last to get these things it seems), I am more than ready to get back to the clay. Well! Where shall I start?
When I first learned to pot, I learned to throw right on the wheelhead. I remember struggling after running the cutting wire under freshly thrown pots and trying to slide the pot off the wheelhead without distorting it. I wasn’t always successful, I believe partially because I didn’t seem to have the coordination at the time, I didn’t know the material (clay) that well, and my newbie pots were usually full to saturation with throwing water, making them particularly easy to smoosh.
Needless to say, I was very excited when my teacher finally let me try throwing using a bat. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the term, a bat is simply a rigid piece of wood, plastic, plaster, tile, etc., that becomes a throwing surface placed over top of the wheel head. Once a pot is completed, the bat and pot are removed together and the pot can remain undisturbed on the bat until its leatherhard and ready to trim.
Yes, I know, bats aren’t absolutely necessary. I find it useful to throw some things off the hump and other times, I just pick pots directly off the wheel and put them onto a ware board. No biggie. I do still like to use bats for some things. It just works for me.
For the last 9 or so years, I’ve been using, for the most part, plastic bats made by Creative Industries, as well as some amazingly rigid Plasti-bats from Amaco. Don’t get me wrong, both are great, but if you look at any of the pricelists out there, you’ll notice they are not cheap ..nor is any commercially manufactured bat it seems, for that matter. I was noticing just today that the price of some bats out there on the market were more expensive than a kiln shelf! Hello. Is it just me or is there something wrong with this picture? ..regardless
In my last studio, however, I used less expensive pressed-wood/MDF bats from my local supplier, as well as a bat system (which I made out of marine plywood and masonite, modelled after one my teacher had ) , with a recessed area cut out in the center to accomodate a bisque 6×6 commercial tile. I remember being pleased with both at the time.
Last spring, in an online discussion about pottery bat systems, someone had mentioned they had seen one using bisque tiles. I was curious, so I followed the link. Sure enough, there was the one I used years ago, only the price was less than if I were to try to make one myself.
I went ahead and called Pottery Supply House and ordered one (they have it listed as a “Tile-Batt“) and am so pleased I did.
It only came with one tile, but I decided I would forego the shipping from Canada, and try and get more tiles locally. I went online and found a Dal-tile distributor right in Foley, not 10 miles away. Since the bisque tiles aren’t a stock item, they had to be special ordered and it took about a week to come in, but that was okay.
There are lots of reasons why I like this particular bat system. I think the chuck cost me all of $11 USD plus shipping, and a box of 25 Dal-tile bisque tiles worked out to be around $0.75 a tile or so from my local flooring distributor (vs $1.10 a tile from the ceramics supplier over in Gulfport, which is actually an hour and a half away from here). I really didn’t think that was such a bad deal, especially considering the CI plastic bats around the same size were about $7+ a piece.
I also like using the bisque tiles because they stay rigid and are porous (whereas the plastic bats can bend and it takes considerably longer for the clay to come away from them). Using these tiles, I can throw mugs in the afternoon and by evening they detach nicely from the tile and are ready to flip over. The mug is a nice even consistency from top to bottom and ready to trim and handle a lot sooner, which translates in less chance of joins cracking and faster production. The tiles also take less room on my ware boards, and if they break, they are easy and inexpensive to replace.
You may notice here in this photo that I made a couple of changes to the chuck when it arrived. I had to drill an additional set holes to accomodate the bat pins for all our wheels in addition to the Soldner (Bat pins on a Soldner wheel are set a bit wider than on other wheels), plus I added a little additional notch to help remove the tiles a little easier, but that’s about it.
Even Lowell seemed impressed, so I just ordered a second Tile Batt, only this time for him, and picked up 2 more boxes of bisque tiles.