Vasefinder Second Annual Nationals 2006 – Online Pottery Competition
They announced the awards for the Vasefinder 2006 National Competition yesterday. The winners this year are:
- First Place: Blue Flower Pod – John Denis Ransmeier, Weaverville NC
- Second Place: Howling..Ode to Terri – Joe Bruhin, Fox AR
- Third Place: Large Bottle Vase – Tom Turner, Mars Hill NC
- Honorable Mentions
- 3 Holed Arranger Vase – Laura Korch, Ypsilanti MI
- Vase – John Glick, Farmington Hills MI
- Bird in the Grass – Nancy Darrell, Marshall NC
- Wire Cut Vase – Bacia Edelman, Madison WI
The juror was William Farrell formerly of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
The Vasefinder Nationals is an online invitational competition where each exhibitor is to present their “interpretation of a pottery vase”. It is the brainchild of Mr Charles Blim, an avid and knowledgeable collector and supporter of the arts.
On his web site, www.vasefinder.com , Mr Blim not only presents the Nationals, but he has compiled an online historical database of hundreds of potters and clay artists that he has researched, artist showcases, pottery links and articles, and various other interesting tidbits of information. My conversation on the phone with him earlier this summer revealed a refreshingly genuine and enthusiastic individual who is very much interested in clay and placing a focus on and supporting the artists, while educating the public of pottery’s extensive tradition and diverse history. He explains his mission quite well on the web site.
Please feel free to check it out to learn more.